Macau Visitor Arrivals Up Nine Percent in 2018 First Quarter

Macau Visitor Arrivals Up Nine Percent in 2018 First Quarter

Macau visitor arrivals totaled more than 8.5 million in the first quarter of 2018, an 8.6 percent increase on the same period that is three-month 2017.

Mainland residents that are chinese flocking to Macau.

March was an exceptionally strong period, as tourism traffic jumped more than nine percent due to the month having an extra Saturday in 2018 set alongside the past year. Visitor arrivals totaled 2.7 million, which is obviously an 11 percent drop from February due to that month hosting the all-important Golden Week holiday.

Visitation from Mainland China was up almost 10 % last month, and 13.4 per cent within the quarter that is first.

The Macau Statistics and Census provider report is welcomed news to casino operators that continue to look to increase mass market visitation to the video gaming enclave.

Gross video gaming revenue (GGR) has followed the visitation trend. Income from games of fortune are up 20.5 percent through March. China’s gaming enclave has now posted 21 consecutive months of good gains.

Mass Appeal

After three years of yearly GGR declines between 2014 and 2016 due to Chinese President Xi Jinping’s anti-corruption campaign being extended to VIP junkets, casino operators began rethinking their focus to a lot more of the population that is general.

While the VIP has reigned supreme for a long time and is accountable for transforming Macau from a sleepy hallow into the entire world’s gaming hub that is richest, gambling enterprises no more wish to entirely rely on the high roller to keep profits robust.

Mainland China and Hong Kong accounts for more than 85 percent of the traffic to Macau. Showing a rise in visitation from the mainland through initial three months of 2018, lacking any apparent surge in junket activity, means resorts are successfully enticing more of this mass market.

‘Mass demand is growing to record highs,’ analysts at JP Morgan said last week. ‘The pace that this recovery is happening without any discernible rise in advertising implies it’s a genuine need recovery, perhaps not artificially pulled forward.’

Macau officials are hoping infrastructure improvements assists in future growth. The 2018 summer opening of the multibillion-dollar mega bridge that will reduce auto travel time from Hong Kong to Macau from four hours to just 45 minutes should bring new visitors to the enclave along with a new ferry terminal near the Cotai Strip.

Entry Concerns

Gross gaming income and Macau visitor arrivals are both up in 2018 with one quarter of the 12 months into the books.

Macau Travel business Council President Andy Wu Keng Kuong told local news agencies this week that the Special Administrative Region (SAR) federal government requires to be ready to handle big quantities of visitors 356 days a year, as compared to only at peak times like Golden Week.

‘We did not foresee there is a jump into the number of tourists coming weekend that is last Wu told the Macau Information Agency. ‘Related government departments should study more data in purchase to better organize and plan the growth of tourists.’

Wu believes room rates during major vacations, which are of course at premium levels, has some mainlanders postponing their trips to off-peak times such as mid-April.

The travel industry president is urging the government to enhance edge crossing procedures, and look to invest in new transportation that is public.

UFC Fight Night Delivers Knockout Profit for Atlantic City

Saturday’s UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) Fight evening occasion at Boardwalk Hall delivered a showing that is strong the Atlantic City economy, as 9,541 fans packed into the arena generating a gate of $923,720.

Kevin Lee (left) defeated Edson Barboza within the headlining fight at UFC Fight Night 128 in Atlantic City. (Image: Noah Murray/USA sports today)

The New Jersey Casino Reinvestment Development Authority (CRDA) struck a $4 million handle William Morris Endeavor (WME) in July 2017 to bring large occasions to the beachfront town. CRDA officials praised Saturday’s UFC showing.

‘Our partnership with WME is all about bringing offseason destination events to Atlantic City, and the UFC Fight event did not disappoint,’ CRDA Executive Director Christopher Howard declared to the Press of Atlantic City night. ‘These events will continue to draw visitors to Atlantic City and showcase Boardwalk Hall.’

Mayor Frank Gilliam (D) called UFC Fight 128 a ‘great success. evening’ City Council President Marty Small stated UFC was a win for the whole economic community, and believes the 2018 summer is critical to the future of Atlantic City.

Saturday was the UFC that is first fight Boardwalk Hall since 2005.

Pay to Play

The CRDA’s $4 million re payment to WME requires the Beverly Hills skill agency and UFC moms and dad company to bring several so-called ‘destination occasions’ to Boardwalk Hall or the Atlantic City Convention Center.

Destination occasions are concerts and attractions that bring visitors that are outside Atlantic City who are typically required to spend the evening at casino resorts.

WME has three future occasions scheduled for Boardwalk Hall. They truly are the Professional Bull Riders (PBR) Tour Unleash the Beast that runs 14-16, Bear Grylls Survival Challenge (October 12-14), and the Basketball Hall of Fame Quadruple Header on December 15 september.

The CRDA also has entertainment contracts with Live Nation and Comcast NBC-Universal. Live Nation was responsible for last summer’s beach concert show that brought musicians Pink and Brantley Gilbert to Atlantic City, and a combined 70,000 fans.

Lloyd D. Levenson Institute of Gaming Executive Director Rummy Pandit believes it is a strategy that’s working.

‘The presence of sporting events like the UFC fight has a synergistic effect for the whole city, generating economic activity which impacts many local businesses from food and beverage to lodging,’ Pandit stated. ‘As New Jersey moves closer to provide legal sports wagering, the synergy between live sporting events and gaming is likely to grow even stronger and have an even greater impact on the regional economy.’

2018 Summer

Summer doesn’t formally begin until 21, but things are already heating up in Atlantic City june. With at least two brand new casinos anticipated to open in the coming months, there’s much enthusiasm around town.

Hard Rock Atlantic City, the former Trump Taj Mahal that’s being converted into a rock ‘n’ roll-themed resort at a cost of $500 million, is set to June that is open 28. The company states it’s focused on entertainment, not gaming, and has unveiled 60 of its 300 planned concerts in its first 12 months of operation.

Hard Rock headliners include Blake Shelton, Florida Georgia Line, Third Eye Blind, Steely Dan, and Kid Rock.

The shuttered Revel is additionally slated to open come july 1st as Ocean Resort Casino. The Showboat, which is a hotel-only property, is mulling reopening its casino floor, too.

Crown Resorts Hit with More Accusations of Slots Tampering

Australia’s Crown Resorts is facing new accusations of slot machine tampering at its flagship Crown Melbourne Casino.

Long-time scourge of this Australian gambling industry Andrew Wilkie thinks Crown Resorts’ gaming license should not be renewed until all slots-tampering allegations happen thoroughly investigated. (Image: The Examiner)

Longstanding lawmaker that is anti-gambling perennial Crown Resorts adversary Andrew Wilkie announced this week he had been approached with a former VIP customer at the casino who claimed staff had provided her with ‘small plastic picks’ to stick into the gaps between wagering buttons on slots. These were used to keep the buttons depressed, enabling automatic and continuous play.

The lady also claimed the casino issued her with multiple loyalty cards so she could make loyalty points playing multiple machines at once.

Police Informed

In line with the Sydney Morning Herald, under Victorian gaming legislation, slots with non-stop spins are permitted in a few specially designated areas regarding the casino, but tampering with devices that has to pass strict regulatory scrutiny could be against the law. For Wilkie, though, there is absolutely no doubt.

‘we have actually raised [the allegations] aided by the VCGLR (Victoria state gaming regulator) personally earlier today,’ he told SMH. ‘ And I also have also written to the principle commissioner of Victoria Police and suggested police also need certainly to look at these matters, because if these matters are true, they could be unlawful.’

Previous ‘Button Blocking’ Accusations

In March, the VCGLR announced it would commence proceedings that are disciplinary Crown after finding evidence of ‘button blocking’ at the Crown Casino Melbourne.

The regulator’s research was prompted by the allegations of three ‘anonymous whistleblowers’ all employees that are ex-Crown testified to Wilkie they’d been purchased to ‘shave down’ betting buttons on slots so customers could jam them in and gamble non-stop. The whistleblowers also claimed they were instructed to eliminate, or ‘blank out,’ certain low wagering options on the machines.

Crown countered that between March and April 2017 it had conducted a three-week trial on 17 of the casino’s 2,628 slot machines. The operator said it did not seek regulatory approval for the trial because it didn’t violate any gambling guidelines.

However, these are unwelcome allegations for Crown Resorts at a right time when its license is up for review. Wilkie stated he believes there is ‘no method the permit should be renewed until all the allegations happen completely investigated’.

‘then i think a cloud hangs over the renewal of their license,’ he added if Crown is found to xbahis be guilty of any offences in regard to any of the individual allegations.

Leave a Reply